Saturday, April 21, 2007

Bacon Grease

OK, I know that some of you have been waiting for the fighting to begin so that we can take our arguments public and you can watch everything fall apart, before I come running back to Indiana a lonely and broken man. So here's the beginning. There is an enormous bruhaha over bacon grease. How can bacon grease lead to a broken relationship, you ask?

My family by no means grew up in the south. In fact, even counting every living member of my extended family, there are only about 5 or 6 people who have lived outside Indiana, and that was in the west. However, my family cooks using bacon grease. Yes, the remains sitting in the pan after you cook up some bacon for breakfast. As far back as I can remember, my mom had a dish in the fridge with some grease in it, and she added to potatoes and green beans regularly, among other things. It just adds some flavor that you can't recreate with spices or anything else.

Katie is not fond of this. She doesn't like the idea of cooking with it, and she definitely doesn't like the idea of keeping it sitting around. I'm not going to try to quote her, because that will only make things worse. Maybe she'll post her side of the argument, but it doesn't seem likely. Regardless, we fight day and night.

Last night I cooked up some burgers and threw some bacon the griddle - partly to accompany the burgers, but mostly to start up the grease stockpile. So now there's a tub of grease in the fridge. We'll see how long it is before it "disappears."

Anyway, where do you all stand? To grease or not to grease...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, it's a good question. I guess I didn't realize until just recently that people actually COOK with that grease — I always thought that the grease was just kept in a jar because you shouldn't put it down the drain.

I admit that today I cooked with bacon, and I disposed of the grease. But I am tempted to try cooking with it sometime, just to see what I've been missing.

Maybe Scott and I can cook something together when he moves back to Indiana as a shattered and broken man! Yippee!

Anonymous said...

If you haven't tried popcorn popped in bacon grease, you haven't had popcorn. Maybe it would help if you didn't call it bacon grease, Emeril calls it pork fat and if you don't want to take my word for it Emeril says everything is better cooked in pork fat. Is it good for you, oh, hhelll no. Come on Katie, at least give it a try before you send him back to Indiana alone.

Anonymous said...

I must say that we try to cook healthy so I can see where Katie is coming from...but I do agree with Scott, there is a jar of bacon grease in our fridge that we use as needed. Ummm, ummm good stuff!