Friday, June 22, 2007

Razor Blades

I'm 100% sure I'm not the only shaving technology aficionado out there, so I just want to address a situation. I had recently run out of razor blades and used my last one past the point one should, so I made the trip to Target this evening to replenish my supply. I am currently a Gillette Fusion Power user. (duh, what else would anyone use?) I arrive at the shaving aisle and easily locate the bright orange area of Fusion blades. Lo and behold, there are two different options: the Gillette Fusion blades and the Gillette Fusion Power blades. I don't want to get into the details, but lets just say the Power blades are about a quarter more apiece.

Out of curiosity, I take both off the pegs to compare the packaging. They are nearly identical. Both packages contain the nearly identical statements: "All Fusion cartridges can be used with all Fusion razors." and "Fusion Power cartridges can be used with all Fusion razors."

I found two differences. One was the color of the plastic around the blades. Not really worth a quarter. The other was the note on the packaging that Fusion Power blades are "PowerGlide™ Blades," which means they have a patented blade coating for incredible comfort. I couldn't determine if the regular Fusion blades included the PowerGlide™ coating or not.

Either way, I bought the Fusion Power blades. Once you reach a certain threshold for cost, you just go for the gold, even if it's fool's gold.

Side note: As I was looking for links for this post, I checked out the Gillette Fusion website. Holy crap, talk about overkill. There's also a weird section for "razor bumps" that actually targeted toward black men, but it never actually mentions that. Are razor bumps more of an epidemic in the African-American community? I know they're a problem for me. And that music is pretty annoying. Interesting site. Apparently the new Phantom razor has an automatic shut off and battery light indicator... is it time for an upgrade?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Where is Katie, I know she has lots to blog about. We would love to hear from her. Plus with her immense amounts of free time (HA HA) I know she is just being a snob.

Anonymous said...

Man, if this turns into a shaving blog, I'm SO outta here.

Anonymous said...

It's about time this blog turned to shaving! I had a similar debate a week or so ago when the store was out of the "Power" blades.

Now, when you can tell me the difference between the Fusion Power and the Phantom, I'll be impressed! My Fusion Power already has auto-shutoff and battery indicator, so there must be something else different other than the color.

Scott said...

UPDATE:

Brandon, I believe the Phantom has an on-board microchip to regulate the micropulses so there are no surges. Because that happens all the time.

Even rodrigo knew that.

Anonymous said...

Mach 3 is the only way to go!